Spring Cleaning Tips For Your Barrie House
With winter coming to an end soon and warmer weather around the corner, here are some tips that will make your spring cleaning of your house a less daunting task. By breaking down the anticipated jobs into more manageable tasks that are easily achievable in a couple of hours, and scheduling them as To Do items on your calendar, they will get done with less stress and a greater sense of progress. A clean home also happens to be one of the first things buyers in the greater Barrie area will notice when viewing houses for sale!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Windows can truly make a difference to how your home feels when they are cleaned inside and out. You may even find your house a little brighter after a thorough cleaning! While you're performing this task, the screens should also be looked after by repairing any holes and washing them outdoors with water and a mild detergent. If you have a multi-storey home consider contracting a professional window cleaning firm, especially if you prefer to stay off ladders!
- Curtains and Blinds are also important, especially since it is easier to clean the windows in your house with them removed. Some curtains and drapes may need to be dry-cleaned if they are not machine or hand washable (check the labels to be sure!). As for the blinds in your house, some vacuum cleaners have special attachments that are up to the task.
- Dusting seems to be one of those jobs that can be perpetually deferred around the house. By taking advantage of a long-handled duster and focusing on areas that tend to be out-of-sight in the house, such as ceiling fan blades, the top of T.V cabinets, wall units, and moldings, you can make this task quick and easy. While you're up in those hard-to-reach areas of the house, it may also be a good time to replace those burned out light bulbs, too.
- Porches, Steps and Railings should also be looked after once the snow melts. It may be wise to choose a special cleaner, one that's designed to remove that stubborn sidewalk salt build-up that forms on your home's outside steps and mats. Adding a nice potted plant inside will also help you get ready for the warmer weather.
- Bedding can be changed out for lighter bedspreads as the temperatures rise in Barrie area. This is a perfect time to vacuum your mattresses and box springs, don't forget under the bed, as well! By laundering your mattress covers at the same time, the bedrooms in your house will have that fresh spring feeling, again.
- The Bathroom fixtures, sinks, tubs, and toilets often need a thorough scrubbing. Polishing the taps and faucets will give everything a fresh new look. It is best to work from high to low and thereby avoid having to clean areas twice. An old toothbrush will come in handy, especially for those tricky areas around your taps and the soap dish in the shower. Some alternative cleaners you may want to try include: powdered dish washer detergent for tough spots in the bathtub, rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle for the caulking, and baking soda with some water to scrub off soap scum. These cleaners will be especially useful for those sensitive to the fumes given off by traditional household cleaners.
- The Kitchen is another area in your home that could use a deep clean when there is "down-time". Getting your small appliances and clutter off of the counters before cleaning them is the best way to be sure nothing is missed. Also give the walls, floor, and sink in your house some attention. This is a perfect time to empty your fridge and clean out the trays and bins. Consider checking the expiry dates and removing items that are past their recommended shelf life. A little Cascade dishwasher soap and boiling water will restore your stainless steel coffee pot, travel mugs, tea kettle, and other stainless cookware to "like-new" condition. Then, just add some new spring decor, and you're all set!